WHAT TO EXPECT…
- A surgical pack may be placed during the procedure to help protect the tissues immediately after surgery. Sometimes these packs remain in place for several days; other times they fall off within a day or so of the procedure. Do not be alarmed if the pack comes off–it’s okay.
- You may experience light bleeding and slight swelling after laser gum surgery. This is normal.
- The appearance of your gums may change within a few days of the procedure. Areas of your gums may become gray, yellow, red, blue or purple. Your gums may appear “stringy.” These are normal responses to LANAP® therapy. Your gums will return to their normal appearance within several days.
- You may experience some soreness, tenderness or tooth sensitivity for a few days after the laser surgery.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO…
- Take it easy the day of your surgery and avoid all strenuous activities for 24 hours. After 24 hours, resume your normal activity.
- Refrain from eating at least 2 hours and until the anesthesia has worn off. For several days after the procedure, you will need to follow a special diet. Eat well, but please follow all of the diet recommendations provided in your instructions package. If you have questions, please contact the office.
- If you were prescribed a pain reliever, take the pain reliever as directed, but only if you need it. If you were not prescribed a pain reliever, you may take any non-prescription pain reliever that you normally take for minor pain according to package instructions. If you have problems controlling pain, please contact the office.
- If you were prescribed antibiotics, take them according to directions and take them until they are all gone.
- Use the antibiotic mouthwash (e.g. Peridex®) twice a day, as prescribed. This mouthwash should only be used for five days. Prolonged usage of the mouthwash may stain your teeth. In addition, you should rinse with warm saltwater (1/2 teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water) every 4 – 6 hours for the first week following the procedure.
- If you feel swelling, apply an ice pack (twenty minutes on, twenty minutes off, repeat) for up to six hours following the procedure. Use ice packs only on the day of the procedure.
- If you smoke, do not smoke for at least the first 48 hours following the procedure. Ideally, do not smoke again…ever! Smoking slows healing and increases the risk of complications.
CONTACT OUR OFFICE IF…
- Your bleeding is excessive or does not stop within 24 hours.
- You have difficulty controlling pain either with prescribed or over-the-counter pain relievers.
- You develop a fever of 101 degrees, or greater.
- You have any other questions or concerns about the LANAP® procedure or the healing process.
- A follow-up appointment is needed after LANAP® therapy. Usually, this appointment is one week after the last laser treatment.
- Following your initial treatments, you will need professional dental cleanings every three months for at least the first year. The front office will schedule theses appointments for you.